Two are the cornerstones of a healthy lifestyle: perform moderate exercise and having a balanced diet, apart from avoiding harmful habits like excessive drinking and smoking.
As a balanced diet is a fundamental part of a healthy lifestyle, it’s essential to have all the nutrients the body needs in it. The superfoods are a very good way of satisfying the needs of our body.
This is a list of 10 super foods that should not be missing in the diet of a healthy person:
1. Legumes. They are ideal for mitigating the effects of fatigue. Take two portions of them per week is an important source of minerals (magnesium, for example), iron and vegetable proteins.
2. Fresh fruit. Fruits are essential to prevent injuries. They are rich in antioxidants they impede the accumulation of free radicals, which affect the production of numerous injuries. It’s recommended to eat at least three pieces of fruit per day.
3. Garlic. It avoids infections because of its antioxidant compounds that fight the formation of dangerous free radicals. It contains allicin, which is useful to prevent circulatory problems.
4. Virgin olive oil. It’s rich in antioxidants and unsaturated fats. Therefore it improves blood circulation and facilitates recovery from injuries. A couple of tablespoons a day is the recommended dose.
5. Blue fish. It contains high biological quality fats and vitamin B12, so having it three or four times a week is an extraordinary habit.
6. Nuts. They are basically energy foods, not being despicable their contributions plus B vitamins, unsaturated fats and minerals. They also help to dampen oscillations in the rate of blood glucose.
7. Chufas/Tigernuts. Rich in minerals (magnesium, calcium, iron and phosphorus), aid digestion and are highly recommended for people suffering from cardiovascular diseases.
8. Eggs. They regenerate muscles, because they are composed of vitamins (A, B and E), phospholipids, lecithin and protein of high biological value. An intake of five to six eggs per week is advised.
9. Wheat germ. It protects the nervous system by improving the synaptic transmission between neurons because of its magnesium content. Vitamin C present in wheat germ helps for a greater resistance and prevents muscles resenting during strenuous exercise. You can add wheat germ tablespoons to other dishes such as salads and purees.
10. Yogurt. A classic dessert, that stimulates the immune system and regenerates the intestinal flora. It also contains Calcium, vitamins, proteins and milk enzymes.